We’ve always been kind of inconsistent about reading stories at bedtime. But we’re finally getting a better routine.
Now around 7:30, we make our way into Von’s room and she can play quietly or color or sit with me while I read books with her. She’s only 3, so we still read a lot of picture books.
I am already anticipating when we can read longer stories together, but right now is great too. She loves it too, and it’s been proving to be a great way to wind down at the end of the day. I still have vivid memories of my parents reading to me as a child, and I want Von to have that too.
It’s my favorite part of the day right now. I love sharing my love of stories with von, and I love when she asks, “mommy will you read another one?”
The answer is always yes.
We read for about a half-hour and then we snuggle.
It’s the best bedtime routine, even when it doesn’t always run as smoothly as I’d like.
Some of our favorites bedtime stories:
- The Mercy Watson series (these are great audiobooks for the car too!) – follow the Watson’s and their pig, Mercy, and all the adventures that come with having a pig as a pet
- Lola Dutch by Kenneth and Sarah Jane Wright – Lola Dutch loves having fun. The illustrations in this book are GORGEOUS. I also just learned that this is a series, so I can’t wait to read more about Lola Dutch!
- Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans – A classic from my childhood, I love that Von loves these books too!
- Finding Wild by Megan Wagner Lloyd – I saw a friend pick this one up, and had to grab it. It’s currently on backorder so you know everyone seems to love it this summer!
- Night-Night Spot by Eric Hill – This is one I’ve been reading to Von since she was born. We don’t have many board books anymore, but I can’t seem to let this one go. Plus, it’s a great bedtime story.
- Will You Be My Sunshine by Julia Lobo – Another cute, charming board book I keep hanging onto. A mom and a baby mouse.
- This Beautiful Day by Richard Jackson – Enjoy the day you’re living! This one also has beautiful pictures, I’m so glad I bought a copy a few years ago when I saw it.
What picture books are you reading right now?