Books

Rainy Day Reads

Sharing is caring!

Hi friends. It’s time for a Top Ten Tuesday post! You can find all prompts + other people who are taking part in this post on That Artsy Reader Girl’s blog! Today’s prompt is ‘rainy day reads’ and as I was thinking about what books I’d want to read on a rainy day, I kept thinking of all of Victoria Schwab’s books and so this list will be all about her books and which ones I think you should pick up first (because you need to read them all) and how I’m going to finish reading the last two that I haven’t read yet!

This post does contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.

This Savage Song

This Savage Song was the first Victoria Schwab book I ever read. It came in an Owlcrate back in 2016 and when I first picked it up, I wasn’t as interested. But the next year, I reread it before reading book 2 and I fell in love with the story and the writing. TSS is all about monsters and people and I loved it.

Our Dark Duet

Our Dark Duet is the sequel to This Savage Song and I *think* it is my favorite book by Victoria. I don’t really want to say that, because I truly love them all… but I really really really love this one. I think it’s time for a reread. This book will destroy you (but in the very best way.) You need to pick up these two books.

A Darker Shade of Magic

If you want some Harry Potter feelings, you need to pick up this trilogy. There’s magic and murder and good and evil and some people right in the middle. Kell is an antari which means he can travel to different worlds. This first book includes a masquerade and some dark magic and I love it so much. A Darker Shade of Magic is a great place to start if you want to read any of Victoria’s books.

A Gathering of Shadows

A Gathering of Shadows is book 2 in the Shades of Magic series. I can’t say much because spoilers but I will say that there’s a magic competition and well, it’s a fun time. I will say that this was my favorite in the trilogy, closely followed by book 3. I also think this is the only book that has a real cliff-hanger out of any of her books.

A Conjuring of Light

You’ll need (and want) to pick up A Conjuring of Light right after you’ve finished A Gathering of Shadows. This book, like Our Dark Duet, will most likely leave you broken and crying and also filled with hope. What can I say, Schwab is really good at endings that tear you apart and also fill you up. I have no idea how she does it. But this one is also fantastic.

Vicious

In Vicious we move more to the sci-fi nature of things than fantasy. Two college students discover that when they have near-death experiences, they come back with superpowers. Vicious is all about good and bad and the lines in between. I love this book so much, but it is very, very dark and it is an adult book. But wow. I love the writing style and story.

Vengeful

Vengeful is a sequel/continuation of Vicious, but this time following a few more characters. Things got a little out of hand in book one and they are even wilder in this book. I still loved the writing style that these books are told in and all the female power, but out of the two I liked Vicious a little more. Both were 5-star reads (well.. actually… all the books on this list were 4 or 5 star reads for me.)

The Near Witch

The Near Witch was Victoria Schwab’s debut novel. It was recently republished (and the cover is beautiful!) and I am in the middle of reading this and I’m a huge fan. It’s creepy and interesting and I am just amazed at how Victoria Schwab is able to write so well.

The Dark Vault: The Archived & The Unbound

The Dark Vault is a combined book that has both The Archived and The Unbound together in one book. These two I haven’t actually read yet, but they are on my list and hopefully, I’ll get to them really soon. I don’t actually know much about these ones, so if you, tell me in the comments! But I’m hoping to read both books ASAP.

City of Ghosts

City of Ghosts is Victoria’s first Middle-grade novel. This means that the main character is 11 and the story is shorter. But I still thought it was fun. And really creepy. Ha. I think I would have been scared if I read it when I was younger, but it’s also so fun. Cassie is a girl who can see ghosts. She goes with her parents to Edinbrough as they film a tv show based on their fiction novels about ghosts, but Cassie can actually see them. It’s a fun time and a wild ride. Book 2 comes out later this fall!

Victoria Schwab also wrote another YA trilogy, the Everyday Angel series, but I haven’t read those yet either! I will say though, I am a huge fan and any of her books are great for a rainy day when you just need to be transported to another world. I can’t wait to see what else she writes in the future, and if you haven’t picked up any of her books yet, I hope you pick up This Savage Song or A Darker Shade of Magic, those are really both great places to start! But, any on this list is sure to win you over!

What’s your favorite book by Victoria Schwab? If you haven’t read any, which would you want to pick up? And tell me what other books I should pick up on a rainy day in the comments!

You may also like...

32 Comments

1. lydiaschoch says:

Yeah, I really need to read City of Ghosts sometime. It sounds good.

My TTT.

1. Taylor says:

It is a really fun middle grade!

2. I LOVE this post! I love rainy days, and reading when it’s raining or during thunderstorms is the most relaxing task, ever! I love the idea of reading about Ghost stories too, or even watching a scary movie!

1. Taylor says:

Thank you! I love rainy days too! My go to book on rainy days is either something spooky or a fantasy so I can sort of escape to a different world, the rain makes it feel more real for some reason!

3. omg yay im so excited to add a few of these to my reading list! im always looking for good ones to keep me going this summer!

1. Taylor says:

I hope you love them! These are some of my favorites!

4. Great choices! Schwab is perfect in any weather, but rainy days do suit her.

Here is our TTT for this week:

1. Taylor says:

I agree! Her books really are great anytime, but they would be so fun to read on a rainy day!

5. I always appreciate reading recommendations. So many good suggestions.

1. Taylor says:

I hope you find some that you’ll enjoy! 🙂

6. These books sound right up my street – really want to read the magical trilogy now and the ghost one sounds fab too – even if it is middle grade. I love reading kids books and I’m writing a book for this age myself. Thanks so much for sharing. I will definitely give these books ago.

1. Taylor says:

Aw! That makes me so happy to hear! I really hope you give them a try, they are so great! I wasn’t too sure about the middle grade one at first, but I ended up loving it!

7. I’m going to admit I’ve never heard of ANY of those (and that’s so embarrassing to me!). Thank you for the ideas!

1. Taylor says:

That’s totally okay! She’s still a fairly new author to me as well, but I’ve loved all of her books and can’t seem to stop reading them! I hope you enjoy them!

8. I’ve honestly never really thought of like certain books being rainy day books. I’m not saying that as a bad thing but like… a fun way to always have a good book to read on a rainy day because I just pick a random book hahaha

1. Taylor says:

I honestly hadn’t thought much about it either until I was writing this post, and then I was like “what would I pick up?” and chances are my mood will be different on every rainy day, but it was still fun to make this list!

9. I love Victoria Schwab’s books! The Shades of Magic trilogy is my favourite, but I really enjoyed Monsters of Verity and Vicious too. I still have to read Vengeful & The Unbound (I got The Archived and The Unbound as separate books, found them randomly at a bookshop in Edinburgh one day), and The Near Witch and City of Ghosts as well.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/04/16/top-ten-tuesday-207/

1. Taylor says:

I love them too! I’m currently reading The Near Witch! I got The Archived and The Unbound together because that’s what they had at my book store, but I can’t wait to read them!

1. I hope you’re enjoying it! I just happened to come across the books separately before The Dark Vault came out and I didn’t know it was going to be a thing at that point, so I bought them.

1. Taylor says:

I’ve really been enjoying it, just haven’t had as much time to read lately! That makes sense, I’m excited to read them eventually.

10. Thanks for the recs girl!! I love reading (trying to read 50+ books this year!) and a lot of my favorite reads come from when bloggers share about it! 🙂

xoxo A

1. Taylor says:

You’re welcome!! That’s an awesome goal! I hope you’re able to read some great books this year 🙂

11. aisasami says:

What nice book recommendations. What book would you recommend for someone who loves fantasy?

1. Taylor says:

I recommend starting with A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab! It’s a fantasy that I really love!

12. I love to read during rainy days! I have never heard of any of these books before but I might have to check some of them out!

1. Taylor says:

I love reading on rainy days too! I hope you do check them out!

13. Kate says:

Thanks for the inspiration! Can’t wait to dig into a few of these this summer!

1. Taylor says:

You’re welcome! I hope you enjoy them!

14. these sound like great selections on a nice rainy day!

1. Taylor says:

I think they’d be great to read on a rainy day!

15. I love your picks! V.E. Schwab is definitely a favourite author of mine 😀

1. Taylor says:

Thank you! I love her books so much as well!